1) In these 10 verses there are 11 notable marks of an “on fire” church. What are they?
2) Now, after having listed those 11 things that are clearly displayed by an “on fire” church, look at yourself as an individual member of the body of Christ. Are these clearly seen in and through you? I'm sure you’re getting the connection that the church is not simply an institution rather it is us. We are the church.
3) I believe this verse holds the key. Are you found more in this description as a believer from 1 Thess. 1:3, or more like those in Rev. 2:2-4. As painful as it may be sometimes we just need to apply verse 5 of Revelation. Remember, repent and do those first works we used to do when we first got saved, "First Love."
The main thoughts for this week is "the marks of an on fire church" and that the church is made up from us as individual believers. These are the marks we would want on our own personal lives. Let's look at the scripture text we covered from 1 Thessalonians chapter 2 and the 7 marks of an “on fire church / believer.” Discuss if these are present in your life and if not, why not? Come up with proactive biblical solutions for personal growth.
1) In an on fire believers life God's Word is bearing fruit.
2) An on fire believer has no false motive or any hidden agenda.
3) An on fire believer serves others with paternal care.
4) An on fire believer receives and releases God's Word.
5) An on fire believer experiences persecution.
6) An on fire believer recognizes the spiritual warfare that they are engaged in.
7) An on fire believer finds joy in having an eternal perspective.
In chapter 3 we find 5 more of our total of 23 marks of an "on fire" church/believer. There were 11 in chapter 1, 7 in chapter 2 and now these 5 in chapter 3.
We see, again, Paul's heart as a shepherd, not wanting people to be distracted in their walk with Jesus. Just as we read in Mark 4:13-20. This is why we need to do as Jesus said in Luke 8:18.
1) Paul, being concerned about their faith, sends a trusted brother Timothy to them. We, like Timothy, should desire to say and do things that will produce a Godly end result such as to encourage and establish others in the faith. Read Eph. 4:29-32
What are the results of your conversations with others? How can they be more fruitful?
In Vs.2 we saw our first mark which is that the believers where teachable.
2) Paul sends Timothy, a like minded leader, to minister to them. An "on fire" church has like minded leadership in the Lord. That is our second mark. Read Phil.2:19-24
3) In Vs. 8 we find our third mark, "stand fast in the Lord." They continued to be plugged into the source, "Jesus". How? Read Acts 2:40-47
4) The forth mark is abounding in love for others and the fifth is continued growth in their personal relationship with Jesus. How? Read Heb. 12:1-2
Many blessings as you seek to know Jesus and may He continue to reveal Himself to you.
End Times & The Church